It’s that wonderful time when you have to pack up all your belongings and joyfully move them somewhere else – NOT!!! But seriously, moving doesn’t have to be too dreadful of a situation – just follow these tips and (hopefully) make your life a little easier!
- CREATE a moving to-do list and check stuff off! Check out our Pinterest Moving Board for ideas
- Purge, purge, purge!! As you wonder through the seemingly endless drawers, cabinets, and closets in your current dwelling, take a good look at your belongings and DETERMINE if you really want to keep it. Ask yourself, “Have I used it in the last year?” Or “Would someone else benefit more from this item than me?” If your answers are no and yes, consider donating it so you don’t have to pack and then unpack it somewhere else.
- Offer donated items to the FOLKS who agreed to help you move and whatever they don’t want, call a local charity to come pick it up. Either way, get it all out at least 2 weeks before your move.
- Pack an overnight bag with your ESSENTIAL things – toiletries, clothing (including work outfits), and favorite pillow / blanket.
- Pack things you will need FIRST in a clear plastic bin. This includes paper products (plates, napkins, utensils, & cups), toilet paper, trash bags, power strips, phone chargers, bed linens, towels, and tools.
- Use your t-shirts and socks to WRAP your breakable items. Forget purchasing expensive bubble wrap and instead put your glasses, plates, and fragile decorating items inside your clothes and stack them inside one another in sturdy boxes.
- LABEL your boxes in a couple of places with room and content – the side as well as the top. Oh, and be sure to note if the movers shouldn’t stack anything on top of it. Also, apply colored tape on the outside for different rooms for easy placement.
- Stick a cotton ball inside your compacts and other make-up CONTAINERS to keep them from cracking.
- Take the top of OPENED bottles (condiments, cleaning supplies, toiletries) and cover with plastic wrap then screw the lid back on.
- Put plates VERTICALLY inside the box – they are less likely to break that way.
- Buy a roll of stretch wrap and ENCLOSE several stacked boxes or your furniture (it prevents scuffs on the corners)
- Pull out your dresser drawers and COVER them with Glad Press’n Seal to make transport easier and what’s better – no unpacking!
- Hit up your local liquor store and ask them for BOXES. Most of them come with the cardboard inserts making packing small items (office supplies, kitchen utensils) a cinch.
- If you have to dis-assemble something, grab a sandwich bag, Sharpie, and box sealing tape. Toss the extra parts in the BAG, label it, and tape it inside the furniture and it won’t get lost!
- Everyone hates configuring your electronics so BEFORE you undo all those wires – take a picture so you know how to easily put it back together!
- Use luggage, tote bags, laundry bins, and hampers for PACKING.
- Instead of trying to pack your HANGING clothes, sort the closet by length and while still hung, pull a tall kitchen garbage bag over the bottom of 25-30 items.
- If you have KIDS OR PETS – hire someone (or guilt-trip someone else) to watch them during your move.
- For those pitiful people who get the pleasure of HELPING you move – treat them right. Buy lots of water and other drinks and ensure that good food will be provided to keep the energy levels up!
Best of luck in your upcoming move!
Post by: Casey Sellers